Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Zechariah 13

The fountain for sin and uncleanness (v. 1)--This beautiful verse speaks for itself:  "In that day a fountain shall be opened for the house of David and for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for sin and for uncleanness."  I will only add that this is obviously a continuation from the previous chapter because of the statement "in that day."

The cutting off of idols and the silencing of false teachers (vs. 2-6)--The first verse, as noted in chapter 12, applies to the church age.  Verse 2 also says "in that day" so we are obviously still referring to the New Testament dispensation.  Idols will be cut off--God's true people (Christians) will worship only Him (v. 2), and false teachers will either be killed (by their own parents who love the Lord more than they do error), or they will be ashamed, and take up another profession (vs. 3-5).  Even his friends will scourge him (v. 6).  Do not take that literally; he is speaking only of the purity of God's true church. There is no place for idolatry or false doctrine in the kingdom of God. 

"My Fellow" (vs. 7-9)--God then speaks of the one Who is "My Shepherd" and "My Fellow" (or "Companion," NKJV).  This is the Christ, of course.  He will be struck "and the sheep will be scattered" (v. 7).  Matthew has Jesus quoting this verse in Matthew 26:31.   But the Lord will take care of His own:  "And I will turn mine hand upon the little ones" (v. 7).  The NKJV's "against the little ones" is surely wrong here.  Tragically, only a small number (represented in verse as "one-third" of the land will "be left therein"--only a few will be saved.  The Lord will refine them and they will be His people and He their God:  "And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God" (v. 9).  The trials will be difficult, but the victory will be ours if we remain faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment